The Connecticut Gilbert & Sullivan Society (CG&SS) is seeking a Set Designer for its October 2020 production of RUDDIGORE
The Set Designer will be responsible for the design and construction of the set, creating a set that embodies our Artistic Director’s vision for the set and the elements that it should include.
To that end, the Set Designer will also be responsible for:
- managing and tracking material and construction expenses to stay within budget
- scheduling, coordinating, and directing the work of our Master Carpenter and volunteers from our group to build the set, and install and strike the set at the venue.
- transporting the set pieces to the venue and setting them up on the stage
- managing stage hands during the show to carry out any required scenery changes within and between acts
- breaking the set down after the show, transporting set pieces from the venue and putting them back into storage.
The show venue has not been finalized yet but will likely either be in Middletown, CT or Deep River, CT. Our shows are typically performed on a large (40’ wide x 35’ deep) proscenium stage with main curtain, mid stage traveler, scrim, and cyclorama screen. Set pieces from our previous production of this show are in a barn in Guilford, CT and this will be the likely place where most of the set construction will take place.
Interested applicants should have multiple shows of prior experience designing, building and installing sets and being responsible for, and performing, the other duties described above.
Qualified candidates should send an email to John Freedman, Vice President, Producer, Connecticut Gilbert & Sullivan Society (firstname.lastname@example.org), stating their interest along with their CV and a list of references. If available, the email should also include photos, or links to a web site or Facebook page showing examples of their work and/or videos of shows for which they acted as Set Designer.
For further information about The Connecticut Gilbert & Sullivan Society and the upcoming show please visit: CTGANDS.ORG