The Town Players of Newtown is pleased to announce upcoming auditions for Silent Sky, written by Lauren Gunderson and directed by Ruth Anne Baumgartner. Auditions will be held at the Little Theater located at 18 Orchard Hill Road, Newtown, CT, 06470
Performances: July 19 through August 10
Showdates: 7/19, 7/20, 7/26, 7/27, 7/28, 8/2, 8/3, 8/4, 8/8, 8/9, 8/10
Silent Sky is inspired by the true story of Henrietta Leavitt, the astronomer ahead of her time and the women who worked along with her. It is 1900, and Henrietta has the opportunity to work at Harvard University as a human computer, one of Dr. Edward Pickering’s “harem,” mapping the stars but receiving no scientific credit.
Cast of Characters:
- Henrietta Leavitt: 30s, brilliant, meticulous, and passionate about her work at the Harvard Observatory. A bit awkward around people, she is focused and driven.
- Margaret Leavitt: 30s, Henrietta’s sister. A nurturing homebody and exceptional composer of works for the piano, she loves Henrietta but has trouble comprehending her sister’s passionate dedication to her work as a computer.
- Peter Shaw: 30s, the head astronomer’s assistant. At first dismissive of the contribution of the women computers, he comes to understand, appreciate and admire them for their work. He becomes Henrietta’s love interest.
- Annie Cannon: 40s, terse and sure of herself. The leader of the group who becomes stronger and more dynamic over the span of 20 years. Grows to be what we might see as the modern woman.
- Williamina Fleming: 50s/60s, smart and funny with a hint of a Scottish accent. A former housekeeper, she started the women’s division at the Observatory and is a mother figure to the group.
Visit our website to learn more…