The East Hartford Summer Youth Festival, Inc. has an immediate opening for our Artistic Director. This summer’s musical production will be “Disney’s The Little Mermaid”. Rehearsals for the production begin in June with the show dates being July 28 & 29 at 7:30pm and July 30 at 2:00pm. Rehearsal times may be subject to change but are generally as follows: Monday through Friday from 6:30pm – 9:30pm. The specific rehearsal content and times will be worked out and scheduled among the entire production team. We are looking for this position to be filled with an individual who has previous Directing experience with musical productions as well as with an age group ranging from 10 years old through college age. We are a non-profit organization so we are also seeking someone who can have a creative vision on a limited budget.
The East Hartford Summer Youth Festival, Inc is a non-profit organization that produces one summer musical with additional fundraising performances throughout the year. It allows the youth and young adults within East Hartford and surrounding areas to participate in a fun theatrical experience while learning all aspects of the theatrical process.
• Together with the music director and choreographer, produce a rehearsal schedule to maximize rehearsal time
• Create a production plot with staging, blocking, analyzing set piece requirements and light design
• Brings together the many complex pieces of a production – including script, actors, set, costuming, lights, sound and music – into a unified whole
• Working creatively within a minimal budget
• Provide individual assistance to cast members in developing their characters.
• Communicate regularly with parents/guardians/participants and proactively address their concerns. Keep Producer informed of any concerns and how the show is proceeding
• Know and understand all guidelines of the summer production.
• Attend rehearsals and performances as previously scheduled.
• Have an active voice at auditions for casting the show
• Attend any Board or Production meetings as needed
• Previous Artistic Director experience required
• Experience directing an age range of 10 through college age preferred
• Strong organizational skills
• Open communication among the production staff
• Patience and ability to deal with multiple priorities at one time.
• Must have strong verbal communication
To apply and for immediate consideration, please submit your resume and cover letter in an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate “Artistic Director position, EHSYF” in the subject line of your email.