No Boundaries Youth Theater (formerly New Britain Youth Theater) seeks a part-time Technical Director to work a flexible schedule of up to five hours weekly. Responsibilities will include:
- Working with directors and designers to coordinate set, sound, lighting, prop, and other technical and design needs for productions and performances
- Completing or overseeing building, assembling, painting, collecting, or otherwise preparing set, sound, lighting, built props, and other technical and design needs for productions and programs
- Working with volunteer and student crews as available to assist with building and technical needs
- Planning, with the Artistic Director, and teaching technical theater and design workshops and classes
- Working with Artistic Director, production directors, and stage managers to schedule load-in and load-out of sets, props, and technical equipment
- Organizing, inventorying, and maintaining set pieces, tools, paint, building materials, and technical (lighting and sound) equipment and supplies
The ideal Technical Director will be organized, motivated, and able to work well both independently and with directors, designers, stage managers, students, and volunteers. A valid driver’s license and the ability to rent and drive at least a 10-foot truck are required. Specific working hours can often be set by the employee him or herself provided work is completed by given deadlines, but some daytime hours will be required for load-ins and some evenings required for rehearsals. Set and technical elements for NBYT productions are often quite simple and easily realized; the position requires a familiarity with lighting and sound, stage carpentry, and theater production (or the ability to quickly learn), and experience is preferred but not required.
To apply, please send an email to Executive and Artistic Director Darren Farrington by email to email@example.com. No phone inquiries please.
About No Boundaries Youth Theater
Founded in 2010 as New Britain Youth Theater and selected by Connecticut Magazine as Connecticut’s Best Children’s Theater in 2017, No Boundaries Youth Theater is a professionally-run community and educational theater for children and teens. The name change in 2018 reflects that NBYT is—and always has been—a youth theater that accepts children from all towns and communities, with all abilities, and to be involved in a variety of ways both onstage and off.
NBYT produces a season of performances by and for children and young adults, provides in-school and after-school arts-integrated and arts-enrichment educational programming, and offers drama classes and individual coaching and lessons. NBYT is dedicated to enriching the lives of children and young adults by encouraging creative thinking and collaborative teamwork, fostering self-confidence and self-esteem, and developing social, emotional, and academic skills through involvement in high-quality, low-cost programs in the performing arts. NBYT operates its programs in community spaces and schools throughout Greater New Britain, and is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.