Landmark Community Theatre’s Student Drama program holds auditions for The Who’s TOMMY at the Thomaston Opera House.
LCT will be holding auditions for TOMMY on May 20th & 21st in the Arts Center Theatre located on Level 2 of the Thomaston Opera House. Callbacks will be held on May 23rd at 6pm. Auditions will be on a first come, first served basis. Dan Checovetes will direct the show. The show dates are August 9th, 10th, & 11th, for a total of 3 performances. Rehearsals will begin on May 27th and continue to be held twice a week from 6pm-10pm. Rehearsal days are to be determined based on cast majority. A third rehearsal day will be added beginning in July.
Auditioners must bring sheet music with them and be prepared to sing 32 bars (about a minute) of a fully memorized musical theater song showcasing the style and vocal range of the character for which they are auditioning. Songs from TOMMY are allowed. Additional vocalizing may also be a part of the audition to determine vocal range and harmonizing skills. An accompanist will be provided; no recorded accompaniment is permitted. Age to audition is 14 to 19 years old with one role for a 10-12 year old boy.
Plot Summary: After witnessing the accidental murder of his mother’s lover at the hands of his father, Tommy is traumatized into a catatonic state. As he grows, he suffers abuse from various relatives and family members, but finds solace in the arcade game of pinball. With the help of his mother, Tommy breaks free of his catatonia and becomes an international pinball superstar. Written by rock legend, Peter Townshend, lead guitarist and songwriter for the Who, TOMMY is an exhilarating story of hope, healing, and the human spirit.
- Mrs. Walker – A weary middle-class woman. Mrs. Walker is tired and frustrated from trying to care for and cure Tommy. Tommy’s mother and Captain Walker’s wife.
- Captain Walker – A former soldier with lingering guilt. He murders his wife’s lover after coming back from a POW camp, resulting in Tommy’s trauma-induced blindness, deafness, and dumbness. Father to Tommy and husband to Mrs. Walker.
- Uncle Ernie – A lecherous, drunken bachelor. Ernie molests a young Tommy and later runs a children’s camp seeking to profit from Tommy’s popularity. Mrs. Walker’s brother and Tommy’s uncle.
- Tommy/narrator – An embittered young genius stricken deaf, dumb, and blind after a childhood trauma. Tommy discovers that he is a natural master of pinball, and later becomes a cult-like hero figure to masses enthralled by his story. Captain Walker and Mrs. Walker’s son.
- Cousin Kevin – A bully with sadistic tendencies. Tortures his cousin, Tommy, when they’re young and later seizes the opportunity to profit from Tommy’s success.
- Gypsy – A brazen drug dealer and prostitute. Tommy’s parents bring him to the Gypsy to experiment with unusual cures.
- The Specialist – A doctor with modern ideas about how to cure Tommy. Tommy’s parents hire him in their desperation to find any cure for their son.
- Sally Simpson – A bold, sensitive, and excitable teenybopper. Sally develops a fan crush on Tommy and rushes the stage to be close to him.
- Ensemble – Soldiers; Nurses; Harlots; Lads And Lasses; Guards; Reporters
Show Dates: August 9, 10 , 11 @ 8pm
Audition Dates: Sunday, May 20 & Monday, May 21 from 6pm-9pm
Audition Location: Arts Center Theatre, located on Level 2, Thomaston Opera House,158 Main St. Thomaston, CT 06787